If you own property, you will be well aware of having to maintain it
Sovereign Boss has prepared 7 tips on how to choose a reputable tradesperson to repair damages from potential leaks and damage caused.
Homeowners are at risk of losing thousands of pounds if targeted by a rogue tradesperson, especially after bad weather hits.
1. Check They Have A Legitimate Website Or Social Media Platform
2. Do Not Pay Upfront
3. Check Their Reviews
4. Call Somebody Trustworthy If You Aren’t Sure
5. Don’t Be Afraid To Get Various Quotes
6. Make Sure You Check With Your Home Insurance Provider Before Any Work Is Carried Out
7. Get A Written Contract
To save further legal issues down the line, get a contract in writing. You might not be offered this, but it is within your right to ask for one, no matter how small the job is. Make sure it includes:
1. Contractor’s name, address, phone number, and license number.
2. An estimated start or completion date.
3. Any agreements made during the conversation, whether they’re related to the issues the tradesperson is resolving, or an estimated cost of labour or materials.
4. An agreement regarding a cancellation.
Don’t feel pressured to have work repaired if you are not sure.
If you have someone offer their services to you, even if you requested them to come and look at a job in the first instance, don’t feel obliged to say yes. You can tell them that you need to discuss this with your partner, family member or friend before you decide.
You can also tell them that you’re waiting on another quote. It’s always best to take a few days to assess the situation, especially if you feel like something isn’t quite right. You will then have the time you need to research the legitimacy of the company and get the answers that you need. Citizen’s Advice also offer some great advice.