Family of 4 jailed after claiming £41,000 for car accidents they set up

Four members from the same family have been jailed for more than three years after setting up five car accidents in an insurance fraud operation that cost more than £40,000.

Rashid Ahmed, Abdullahi Bana, Salah Mohammed and Abbas Moobe, from Ilford, London, have been sentenced for their part in carrying out a series of ‘crash for cash’ frauds.

The scam was carried by an uncle and his nephews who took out false insurance policies and went on to stage a total of five car accidents.

Claims were then made by the four for non-existent injuries and damages to their vehicle at a total of £40,000.

The case was highlighted by the Insurance Fraud Bureau (IFB) who discovered that the same bank card had been used to incept five separate policies with Service Insurance and Aviva, all using a different fake name and address.

Detective Constable Daryl Fryatt, said, “These fraudsters tried to claim for thousands of pounds for a series of fake car crashes, but thanks to our investigation with support from the IFB, Service Insurance and Aviva, all they’ve ended up with is a criminal sentence.

Jason Potter, at the Insurance Fraud Bureau (IFB), said, “Organised insurance fraud is a serious crime and it is imperative that we continue to focus our efforts on detecting and deterring this type of behaviour in order to stamp it out at the root.”

 

 

 

Landlord fined after failing to improve property

A landlord has been convicted after neglecting his property in Norwich.

Measures were taken against Nicholas Ian Shaw, 47, by Cheshire West and Chester Council after complaints from a tenant.

The flat was being rented by a family which included two young children under the age of five at the time.

Mr Shaw was asked several times to replace single-glazed windows, repair a front door that could not close, improve insufficient loft insulation and fix problems with mould in the bathroom of the property.

The council’s regulatory services officers repeatedly contacted Mr Shaw to resolve a number of problems but he failed to take all the action necessary to improve the safety or cleanliness of his property.

Mr Shaw was fined £1,500 in West Cheshire Magistrates’ Court following his failure to comply with an improvement notice served under the Housing Act 2004.

Costs of £875 and a victim surcharge of £120 increased Shaw’s court bill to £2,495.

 

Woman accused of benefit fraud while living with working husband

A woman from Billingham has appeared in court accused of benefit fraud.

Paige Smith, 21, is alleged to have claimed housing benefit and income support fraudulently between June 12, 2016, and March 26, 2017.

Smith is charged with failing to notify Stockton Council and the Department for Work and Pensions that she was living with her husband who was said to have been in paid employment at the time.

 

Smith pleaded not guilty to the charges at Teesside Magistrates’ Court.

 

Smith was granted unconditional bail.

Divorce is granted to German woman in UK court

A German woman has been granted a divorce after bringing matrimonial proceedings to England after discovering her husband was having an affair.

Catja Thum issued a divorce petition in England even though Oliver Thum had started separate proceedings in Germany.

The couple, both in their 40s, were at the Court of Appeal in May this year.

Judges ruled in favour of Mrs Thum and the divorce was granted at the Central Family Court in High Holborn London.

Court documents cited Mr Thum’s “unreasonable behaviour” as the reason for the divorce and described the marriage as having “broken down irretrievably.”

A decree nisi was formally granted by District Judge Yvonne Gibson in a hearing that lasted less than a minute.

Landlord fined £20,000 after house fire

A landlord was fined £20,000 after admitting he put the lives of five residents at risk.

Residents became trapped upstairs during a fire in Worthing last year, weeks after their landlord was told their fire alarm did not work.

The judge said Terry Millis, 62, had a ‘high level’ of culpability and fined him £20,000 for ‘failures’ in the lead up to the fire.

The court heard Millis had contacted a company to repair the fire alarm two months before the fire, but the work had not been done.

Sentencing him, district judge Tessa Szagun said Millis had a ‘high level’ of culpability.

She said, “The purpose of sentencing in this type of case is to protect the safety of individuals living in such premises by ensuring that there is no financial gain by any person cutting corners.

“(There is) also a necessity to deter others from doing so.”

Millis was fined £20,000, reduced from £30,000 by his guilty plea, and he was ordered to pay £1,743.47 costs to West Sussex County Council.

Police target £4.6m benefit fraud

An “industrial scale” £4.6 million benefit fraud has been targeted by police in Glasgow.

Police officers have been working with the Department for Work and Pensions and Home Office Immigration Enforcement for almost a year in an investigation to trace an organised crime gang suspected of defrauding the benefits system of about £4.6m.

A number of properties in the Govanhill area of Glasgow were raided.

Individuals who carried out fraudulent transactions were also targeted.

Assistant Chief Constable Gillian MacDonald said, “Our action today is the culmination of an almost year-long investigation, which has been targeting organised benefit fraud on an almost industrial scale.

“The first phase underway is targeting the organised crime group who have orchestrated the benefit fraud and phase two is targeting those individuals who are helping facilitate the fraud by carrying out the fraudulent transactions.”

Police Scotland said the action was part of an ongoing investigation into a large-scale organised attack on the UK’s benefit systems and “associated criminality”.

A force spokesman added, “Communities play a huge part in the fight against crime in their local areas.

“Govanhill has strong community links and we work closely with these groups, we listen to what they tell us and we take action to tackle criminality in the area.”

Ex-husband in contempt of court over unpaid £453m divorce bill

A Russian billionaire has not paid his ex-wife “one cent” of the £453m he was ordered to pay, a court in London has heard.

Mr Justice Haddon-Cave told the family division of the high court that Farkhad Akhmedov was in contempt of court.

In December 2016 Mr Haddon-Cave ordered Mr Akhmedov to pay his e-wife a 41.5% share of his £1bn-plus fortune.

Hodge Malek QC said, “Not a cent has been paid to Ms Akhmedova. It is clear though that assets have been moved.”

Mr Haddon-Cave said, “Mr Akhmedov in any event remains in contempt of this court. It is Ms Akhmedova who is prejudiced by the continued delay in this case.”

Akhmedova was at the hearing, but her ex-husband was not.

The judge had previously criticised Akhmedov, saying it was apparent that he had taken “numerous elaborate steps” to hide his wealth and evade the enforcement of the judgment, including by “concealing his assets in a web of offshore companies.”

 

Judge rules couple’s Islamic marriage falls under English law

A High Court judge has decided that an estranged couple’s Islamic faith marriage falls within the scope of English matrimonial law.

Solicitor Nasreen Akhter and businessman Mohammed Shabaz Khan, took part in an Islamic wedding ceremony in a London restaurant in 1998.

Mrs Akhter says the nikah ceremony was conducted by an imam before about 150 guests.

She says Mr Khan became her “husband” and he had considered her his “wife”.

Mrs Akhter said the Islamic faith marriage constituted a valid marriage under English law.

Mr Khan, who wants to stop Ms Akhter staging a fight over money in a London court, disagreed.

Mr Justice Williams has ruled that the marriage falls within the scope of the 1973 Matrimonial Causes Act.

However, he has decided that the marriage was “entered into in disregard of certain requirements as to the formation of marriage.”

He says the marriage is therefore “void” and says Mrs Akhter is entitled to a decree of nullity.

The judge had analysed the dispute at a recent trial in the Family Division of the High Court in London and has announced his decision in a written ruling.